It undoubtedly happens, you reach a point in the semester (often way too quickly) where from then on out it’s crazy, busy and stressful.Start the semester off right by being organized from the start because really, college is hard enough, why make it harder on yourself?
Here are some things that you can do to get yourself organized from the start.
- Keep a calendar. The easiest way to keep track of your semester is to log it in a calendar rather than juggle multiple syllabi. At the beginning of the semester, when you still have a little free time, look at all your syllabi and input the dates that things are due and exams are expected to happen in your calendar. I personally use iCalendar but you could use a paper planner, iHomework, Google calendar or whatever works best for you. Put everything in on the day it’s due so that when you go to look at your upcoming week it’s all laid out. This way not only does it make it easy to keep track of everything so something doesn’t accidentally slip under the radar but it also helps you with your time management.
- Get ahead. I know I know…nobody wants to do work that’s not immediately required of them rather than be social. It helps though to spend an extra 30-45 minutes here and there reading ahead, creating a study guide etc. This will help you lighten your work load a little but when you’re really feeling overwhelmed.
- Plan out your papers. On a similar note to #2, as soon as you know the details of a paper (or even a project) start to plan it out, make a timeline. For more tips to help you when writing a paper you can look at my post 5 Tips for Writing a College Paper.
- Organize your work. Don’t just store things wherever, keep everything organized so that you don’t scramble to find assignments right before they’re due. Give each class it’s own folder/binder or have a homework only folder, whatever works best for you.
- Don’t procrastinate! Don’t make things harder for yourself than they have to be. When you put things off until last minute your workload inevitably grows and grows and becomes less manageable a lot faster than if you stay on top of things. Why put yourself behind from the start?
Do you have any things that you do to help get organized and stay organized during the semester?
- 10 Steps to Applying for an Internship
- Staying On Track
- The Importance of Networking Early
- Picture This In 20 Years
- The Internship