For many American college students the fall semester is around the corner which means packing up and moving back to campus. For myself, and I’m sure many others, this means saying goodbye to the income of a summer job. I however do not want the money to stop coming in simply because my focus is turning towards classwork and I’m guessing I’m not alone. That being said, over the course of the last month I’ve been working on ways to make money on a student’s schedule and limitations. I’ve been successful, more so than I expected to be honest, and have found some ways that students can do in their free time, whether it’s 3 hours one week and 20 minutes the next, or maybe none at all. The best part? You don’t even have to leave your room if you don’t want to yet can just as easily do it on the go. The following is a list of the four methods that I’ve found to be most successful (least to most) and a small description of each. That’s not to say there aren’t more methods out there, this is just what I’ve found works best for me.
- ReceiptHog – This is an app that’s available on both iOS and Android and is great for students who are buying their own groceries. A limited market I know, but when there’s an easy opportunity to make money why not take it? All you have to do with this app is take a picture of your grocery receipts (in app) and submit it for points. Once you get enough points you can either redeem them for an Amazon gift card or Paypal cash.
- Swagbucks – This website has a ton of different ways that you can make money. By completing different activities on the site you earn points which can later be redeemed for different prizes including Amazon gift cards, Target gift cards and Paypal cash outs. The reason it’s not further down on this list is because sadly, most of the free ways to earn money only reward you with a few points. With a little determination and dedication however, you can easily make some big points and earn big rewards.
- AppTrailers – This is another iOS and Android app but this one is one that doesn’t fall into a specific niche like ReceiptHog. With this app you can earn points by watching trailers for different apps, watching different commercials for TV shows, commenting on trailers, etc. Once you accumulate points you can then redeem your points for different gift cards to places like Target, iTunes, Sephora etc as well as Amazon and Paypal once again
- Mturk – This is my absolute favorite way to make some extra cash. It’s through Amazon which means that not only is it a confirmed trustworthy site, but it also can be linked to an already existing Amazon account. You do need to note that it takes 48 hours for your account to be established in mturk and you have to input your tax information. It’s completely worth it though. I started using Mturk a month ago and I’ve already made $30. Mturk is like everything else on this list in that it requires you to complete tasks to earn your rewards. However, Mturk is a lot easier to earn quickly and you earn the money then and there, there’s no points that have to be collected and then redeemed. Different tasks take different amounts of time to complete and their value is traditionally based on the amount of time they take. I personally complete a lot of survey’s that take about 15-20 minutes and earn you between $.50 and $.75 each. If you average $10 a week that earns you $40 a month which means you’ll make about $480 over the course of a year. That’s some nice extra money for easy tasks that you can complete while you’re watching TV. And if you choose, you can make even more, that’s just the personal goal I’ve set for myself.
No matter what you do or how much you make just remember that this is extra money that you’re making on your time. Have any methods that you use? Feel free to share them in comments!
- Are You a Mechanical Turk Worker?
- Earn free money using the Receipt Hog
- Free Money
- ways for earning money